Reflection-Alanis

By

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I learned a lot during the spring training experience, mostly dealing with how Spring Training and the MLB works. The experience that I gained from going into the Braves locker room, watching the game from the press box and just being in the environment taught me a lot of things that I’ll be able to do moving forward, especially since that’s exactly what I want to do as far as a career. The only frustrations I dealt with were from the game in which I had credentials, which was the Braves/Marlins game. It was tough figuring out where to go because the team hadn’t given much information about the clubhouse hours, location etc. And not many people on staff at Champions Stadium knew about media access, which was sort of strange to me. It was also a bit overwhelming going into the players’ locker room because I had never been in any locker room before, and there were no other members of the media there at the time. But in hindsight, I appreciate having to go through that process because it forced me to take initiative and get out of my comfort zone a bit. Something I’d do differently would definitely be to try to be calmer and more confident around the pro players. Interviewing has never been my favorite aspect of journalism, and being in a locker room full of pro baseball players by myself – in addition to not knowing for sure who I’d be able to talk to –  was a lot to take in. Something I really enjoyed was just being able to write the articles. I loved working on the Willie Horton feature, and I enjoyed talking to members of the foundation. As a Braves fan, going to the Braves game was also a highlight (plus being in the press box because the food was great). I also enjoyed interacting with the different fans at the games and hearing them tell their stories about how far they’d traveled and who they had come to see. Although the Wednesday in which we all met in Port Charlotte was great, probably my least favorite part of the trip was having to get up at 6 a.m. to drive there.

Alanis Thames

About Alanis Thames

Check Also

Reflection in an Odd Time

Spring break is usually a mixture of a beach, pool, sunglasses and sunscreen for me. …