Best Time of My Life

By

I would be lying if I said it wasn’t. I got to travel to four ballparks, watch five games and see six teams.

The best part happened on Thursday, March 5, when I called a Tampa Bay Rays game with Alexa Harley. It was a blast. I went all out: extensive notes, a kept score, everything to make sure this was like a pro-level broadcast, and I think I was able to get close to it if not accomplish it.

It’s on my real forever, and no one can take that away from me.

I think it was cool that I got to travel around and cover other games too. My dad was a bit exhausted after being dragged around (he figured he might as well hit up ballgames too), but it all worked out. I was a beat writer for Gator football, so it wasn’t my first time live-tweeting a whole game. However, doing it for a Rays-Braves game was still special. Think about it, I’m doing the same stuff as the beat writers I’ve been following for years.

One Thing I Learned

Don’t be afraid to think of story ideas on the fly. When I got to the Phillies-Orioles game, I thought it was just going to be my game recap, but after the Phillie Phanatic showed up in a tutu, I had my feature story. 

I thought one of my other stories was just going to be some usual food story, or “oh this ballpark is pretty.” It took maybe six and a half minutes to realize I could write a Canada-focused story.

I will say, I did do a game recap; I had to. But when I did, I made sure it was as high quality as possible, even had others review it before publishing.

Ok, I’ll Wrap It Up Now

It was an amazing week. I would never trade this experience for any spring break excitement you’d see on TV. That’s short-term fun. This was getting a glance at where my career has a chance to go. I also loved baseball, which means this was the dream. This isn’t the end, Major League Baseball. I’ll be back.

About Harrison Smajovits

Check Also

Reflection in an Odd Time

Spring break is usually a mixture of a beach, pool, sunglasses and sunscreen for me. …