MLB Spring Training Experience

By

This week has been an amazing learning experience for me. Through my work with the Spring Training Experience I had the opportunity to practice live-tweeting, photography, videography and interviewing skills.

I had the opportunity to interview Trea Turner from the Washington Nationals, which was the highlight of my week. This piece, I personally believe is the best story I have written. I had a great time getting to handle all aspects of it: from the interview, to the pictures, to video and finally to the story itself. I did not get any press credentials for any of the other games that I signed up for, so the Nationals versus Orioles game was the most in-depth experience that I received. I was able to spend the entire game in the press box, which allowed me to have a completely different perspective on the game than what I have seen before. On this day alone, I was wrote two pieces: one about Trea Turner and one as a recap of the game as a whole.

I also had the opportunity to create a photo gallery of the Rays stadium in Port Charlotte that gave me a new outlook on sports journalism in general. It is more than just reporting on a game or player or team, sometimes the fans and the atmosphere is a story in and of itself.

Overall, the entire experience was a learning opportunity that I would not trade for anything else.

About Rylee McIver

Rylee is a first year Journalism major with a specialization in Sports and Media at the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications.

Check Also

Aidan’s Spring Training Experience

Looking back on the week I spent on the Spring Training experience has made me …