Credit Floridagators.com (Tim Casey)

Former Gator Alex Faedo Aims to Stay Healthy for a Full Season

By

Detroit Tigers pitcher Alex Faedo has one goal for this upcoming season–to stay healthy.

Faedo, a former Florida pitcher and member of the 2017 National Champion team, has yet to complete a full season in the Major League after a series of injuries derailed his 2020, 2021, and 2022 seasons.

Faedo underwent Tommy John surgery in December 2020 to repair his ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow and missed the entire 2021 season. After starting just over a handful of games for the Tigers in the 2022 season, Faedo endured a season-ending hip injury that required another surgery.

“I feel good,” Faedo said. “The staff over here at the complex is treating me really well for both those surgeries and they got me ready to go for Spring Training.”

Faedo was drafted by the Tigers 18th overall in 2017 and made his major league debut in May of 2022. The Tigers’ training staff has worked closely with Faedo throughout his recovery to get him ready for the start of this season.

Faedo feels healthy and through his hard work rehabbing, he made it to Spring Training on time. He has thrown three games so far and has his next game at the end of the week. The Detroit staff has helped Faedo work through his recovery from his different surgeries.

“They do a good job,” Faedo said. “I just trust what they have for me and then it’s never really in the back of my mind.”

The goal for Faedo this season is to stay healthy, but he has also been working on making mechanical adjustments for his pitches and using every day intentionally to get better. He wants to put himself in a position to have as good of a season as he can.

“A personal goal is I want to be healthy and for a whole season be able to give my team a chance to win every time I touch the mound,” Faedo said.

Being ready at the start of Spring Training has allowed him to have time to work with the Tigers’ coaching staff on his mechanics. It is important for him to execute his pitches, but he has also been focusing on trying to move correctly for how his body works.

Faedo has pitched five and a third innings and has seven strikeouts so far this Spring Training. He is continuing to work with the pitching staff on his mechanics to find what works best.

Faedo says he is fortunate to have spring training located in Lakeland, Florida. He feels as if he never left because he is in Florida often for rehab. The Tampa native enjoys being close to family and being able to see friends in his free time.

“They can come see my games and days we get off early, I can see family friends,” Faedo said. “It’s very nice.”

About michaeleaneal

Check Also

My Spring Break Adventure to Seven Grapefruit League Games at Four Different Ballparks

In only eight days, I managed to attend seven MLB Spring Training games at four …