Talia’s Time at MLB Spring Training

By

Let me take you back to a week I won’t ever forget. Over spring break, I went to five different baseball games, and it put my skills to the test. I expanded my knowledge in live-tweeting, photography, videography, writing, content creation and interviewing.

One thing I learned is that life is what you make it. Before going into the experience, I had to pitch several ideas of how I was going to make exciting content. This was difficult because I did not know if I was going to get team accessibility, which challenged me to think of ways to still engage my audience. Although I ended up having limited access to players and coaches, it pushed me to use out of the ordinary tactics. I was able to do a man-on-the-street package and I even made a Yankees vs.Phillies vlog. This content was out of my comfort zone, but I met so many amazing people and really got to experience the atmosphere at the ballparks.

For the two games I got credentials for, I loved watching players be themselves and learning about different staff positions. I was able to have great conversations with the Tampa Bay Rays sideline reporter and a photographer for MLB sports cards. All the security guards and communications teams also had so many interesting stories and facts.

If I could redo this trip, I would focus more on teams that have less of a fan base. Covering popular teams like the Yankees and the Braves was hard to get access to, but it was still entertaining making content at those games. I learned that fans are your biggest helpers, and in order to get a good article, you need to be aggressive. Stories won’t just come to you, you have to find them. In the future, I hope the CJC grants camera access to students so they can not only work on their beat reporting, but their on-camera work too.

Overall, the MLB Grapefruit Spring Training was a blessing and I learned so much. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to broaden their experience in the sports world.

About tbaia

Check Also

How the Relationship between HCC and the New York Yankees is Growing the Game of Baseball in a Unique Way

Across the country, collegiate baseball programs continue to develop at a monstrous rate every year. …