Mandatory Credit - Jordyn Reed

Atlanta Braves Saying Goodbye to Mickey Ears and Ice Cream Bars

By

With spring training happening right now, the Atlanta Braves are spending their final days in the happiest place on Earth. Spending years in Champion Stadium at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, the Braves are saying “so long” to the Mickey ears after next year.

“We had a great time here,” said Brian Snitker, manager of the Atlanta Braves. “It’s been a great run here, I think.”

Returning in 2018 for their 21st season in Disney World, the Braves are hosting the reigning World Series champions Houston Astros in their most notable game of spring training in Kissimmee.

Mandatory Credit: Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

Citing how close the games are to those in Atlanta, Snitker still knows that the fans are showing up in droves to Disney.

“It’s very conducive to the people of Atlanta,” said Snitker. “It’s easy for them to get here.”

While yes, they are here for baseball, the Braves have very much been a part of the Disney experience by being at Champion Stadium.

After 21 yers of being in Disney, it is going to be a definite transition for Snitker, who would bring his kids for vacation during spring training.

“It’s been cool for all of us that have kids and grandkids,” said Snitker. “[We’ve] been able to experience Disney here, I’m sure a lot of things about this we’re gonna miss.”

The Braves will be moving to Sarasota County in 2019 to a brand new facility, costing $125 million. The facility is being constructed today, with the Braves extending their deal with Disney for the 2019 season to allow the facility to be fully prepared by the 2020 Spring Training season.

About Stephen Cabrera

I am a University of Florida journalism student from Miami, Florida who is a fan of professional wrestling, football, baseball, basketball and mixed martial arts. I am also a writer and contributor for ESPN 98.1 FM – 850 AM WRUF.

Check Also

Getting Comfortable with the Uncomfortable: Ben Acker’s week with the Grapefruit Gators

To say my family and I were excited that I got accepted into the Spring …