Processed with VSCO with c9 preset

Parker’s Spring Training Experience

By

My overall experience was eye-opening and exciting! I was able to attend four different ballparks and took great experiences away from each one!

For my first game, I attended the Washington Nationals vs. New York Mets @ First Data Field. Although I was not able to get a credential, I was able to write my favorite post after attending this game. I met a man named Greg Zotian who approached me outside of the ticket booth asking if I needed help getting a ticket. He ended up giving me one of his tickets behind home plate. While watching the game, Greg told me of his lifetime dedication to the Mets and shared stories of the many memorable games he attended. 

For my second game, I attended the Minnesota Twins vs. St. Louis Cardinals @ Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium. During this game, I filled out a scorecard and was able to really focus on the game. I enjoyed writing a recap of the game and practice using baseball terms and language.

For the third game, I was able to receive a credential from the Washington Nationals for their game against the Baltimore Orioles. It was amazing being able to watch batting practice, using the media workrooms, and sitting in the press box during the game.  After the game, I was able to attend a conference with Nationals’ manager Dave Martinez and write a brief article on the health status of some of his players. 

Lastly, I attended the Tampa Bay Rays match-up with the Pittsburgh Pirates. We were able to have a behind the scenes tour of the media and broadcast rooms and receive amazing advice from some of the beat reporters. The Rays media team were incredibly welcoming and made the experience one of my favorites of the week.

The Spring Training experience has only confirmed my love for the sport of baseball and the unique atmosphere that surrounds it. I definitely intend on pursuing a career that would keep me around this sport!

About Parker Welch

Parker Welch is a sophomore at the University of Florida majoring in Sports Media at the College of Journalism & Communications.

Check Also

Aidan’s Spring Training Experience

Looking back on the week I spent on the Spring Training experience has made me …