Photo: Patrick Smith, Getty Images

Trey Mancini Looks to Bring O’s More W’s

By

(SARASOTA, FL) – Trey Mancini has become a well-known name for Orioles fans and baseball fans alike. The right-field talent was drafted in 2013 and bounced around the minors before his major league debut in 2016 for the Orioles. Despite their playoff birth that year, the Orioles have been struggling to get back there.

“We’re really just looking to improve the team,” Mancini said of their goals for the 2020 season. “We won 54 games last year, we obviously want to improve upon that. It’s going to take some time but we’re confident in our ability to take it day by day.”

Mancini has quickly become a staple for the team, earning the MVP spot for the Orioles at the end of last season. He finished the 2019 season with 35 home runs and 97 RBIs, as well being the leading role in the outfield.

“After 2016, we had a totally different roster,” Mancini noted. “I ended up being the veteran and a lot of new guys started to look to me. I’ve been here for three-plus years and I hope to help lead in any way I can.”

The Orioles have seen quite a few changes in the last couple of years – to put it lightly, an entirely new roster has been built. The one familiar name seems to be Mancini, and people are starting to take note. Despite this, rumors of his trade have begun to surface as his value has gone up.

“There have always been rumors associated with my name but I’m not too worried,” Mancini said. “I have no control over it, but I’m happy here and I love being with Baltimore.”

The fans seem to also be pretty happy with Mancini, as well, with many wondering why he was absent from last year’s AL All-Star roster.

Regardless of what rumors may be swirling, Mancini is ready to focus on this season and get to work.

“All we can do is work hard. We’ve got an incredible group of guys that are really competing for their spots. I’m not sure how we’re going to get this roster down to 26 because of all the incredible talent these guys have been showing,” Mancini said. “They’re really competing and it shows.”

Among new roster changes, Mancini is excited to have shortstop and 2015 All-Star José Iglesias join the team. In addition, he feels pretty confident about players like Wade LeBlanc and Tommy Malone.

“[The Orioles]’ve made some great signings, so we’ve got a lot of good guys that have been around and have that experience that can’t be taught. These veterans will really help with a younger team,” Mancini said.

The Orioles are looking to find their pace this season as they settle in with their new roster, and Mancini is confident in their goals for the season.

“I think a lot of people are going to be surprised,” Mancini noted. “We’ve got a tough division, and you hope to make it to the playoffs, but I think we can definitely win some games and that’s what I’m here to do.”

About Lillie Shipley

Check Also

Getting Comfortable with the Uncomfortable: Ben Acker’s week with the Grapefruit Gators

To say my family and I were excited that I got accepted into the Spring …